Bow, East London, got its name from a Norman bridge.
According to John Noorthouck in his book A New History of London, written in 1773, in 1086, in the reign of William the Conqueror, the parish church of St. Mary in Cheapside, was built. It was the first church built with stone arches. For this reason it obtained the name St. Mary de Arcubus in Latin, or St. Mary-leBow, in English.
Noorthouck explains, “For the same reason, the first arched stone bridge, erected at Stratford, four miles eastward of London, gave name to that village of Stratford-le-Bow” which grew in size, such that one half continued to be known as Stratford and the other half came to be known as Bow.